Should I do Trash the Dress pictures shoot for my destination wedding?
Trash the Dress (TTD) sessions are a crazy-fun, creative and romantic way to cap off an amazing destination wedding – or local wedding for that matter. The term “Trash” doesn’t exactly inspire confidence when Brides hear it for the first time – where others jump at the thought of such an adventure!
Do Brides wear their actual wedding dress?
Yep, most Brides wear their wedding dress while some opt for a second, less expensive wedding dress. Another option is to bring another style of dress completely, like a more colourful dress to create some contrast with the environment ie. bold red against the water, sand, trees etc.
Does the wedding dress actually get “trashed”
I get this question all the time! Since most destination wedding trash the dress sessions take place on a beach and in the water, the dress nearly always comes out more clean than when we start. Think of it this way, after an entire wedding day, the bottom of a the beautiful white dress is naturally black with dirt – the sand and salt water actually clean away most of that black stuff. There’s more of a chance of ruining the dress on the wedding day with wine/food spills or reception dance-offs than on the beach.
Timeline for a trash the dress session?
A day or two after the wedding day once the Bride and Groom have had a chance to relax and catch their breath is the best time to TTD . Generally, these shoots last about 2 hours start to finish and let me tell ya, the time really flies by!
A few tips to help you get the most out of your Trash the Dress
- Dig up your adventurous spirit – bring your romantic side along with your best blue-steel attitude pose.
- Rest up! While not the only options, sunrise and sunset are the best times to TTD
- Brides wearing strapless dresses, be sure it’s done up properly to avoid “malfunctions”
- Gentlemen, your white button up dress shirt is ideal – no under shirts, tank tops etc.
- Gentlemen again – go with basic boxers, we don’t want crazy, smiley-face boxers showing through your khakis dude.
- Focus on one another – soak up your beautiful surroundings and enjoy one another, pay no attention to the photo-nerd behind the camera!
Trash the Dress sessions are a fun, creative addition to your destination wedding photo album and provide a cool contrast for the event. Set the bar high for your future generations!