Looking back at a huge 2014 for Vaughn Barry Photography
My third season as a wedding photographer is in the books and dang it was a big one! From a new high in bookings to the exciting personal evolution of my style and on through my ever-evolving understanding of the business of photography – 2014 was a banner year. Like many visual people, I struggle to find words most times – they’ve always been with me however recognizing that I could speak without speaking has been the single most important realization for me. My camera is my pen.
Not so long ago my goal was to land a destination wedding… could I? Dare I… on a plane, to a beach? Well things took off and I’ve hit my goal-number each of the last two years. However, this past year I decided to up the goal a little and make a few more trips down south. Tough decision… I know right?! As it turns out, I’m now turning away more destination weddings than I can accept which has been a whole new bittersweet experience.
Home is where the heart is as they say and while flying south is fun and adventurous, I find myself falling ever more in love with more local outdoor Ontario weddings. Muskoka and Collingwood have become my primary stomping grounds and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Being a Northern Ontario lad originally, the woods and rocky shorelines give me those creative butterflies.
- Fun Stuff – My Ice Bucket Challenge
- Milestone – new weddings booked benchmark
- Favourite moments – weekend visits to our new home tracking its progress, shooting weddings with my super talented daughter, hosting our first Christmas with our whole family
- Discovery – directors of photography have a killer take on lighting
- New Gear – VRII
- Coaching – Hung up my whistle for the 2014-15 season – I’m polishing it for 2015-16 however
- Best News – we moved to our new home June of 2014
My 2015 calendar is nearly booked as I head into January. I feel so ridiculously fortunate to be steaming forward with such pace in my business, thanks so much for all my Brides & Grooms for letting me tag along on their wedding days – it’s been great making so many new friends! Good luck to you and yours in 2015 – make it the most most kickass one year!